Monday, June 4, 2012

More backdrop work....

Lessons learned on my first couple of photo backdrops. First off, I wasn't happy with the look of the backdrop behind the Southern main because of the dull coat I'd sprayed on it as you can see from my previous post. So, I had the photo reprinted and I re-hung it without any dull coat. I also was more careful with the airbrush in feathering in my backdrop sky color. I like how it turned out!

Next, I made a change in direction. I'd been working hard on the scenery and structures for the lower deck between Meridian and South Artesia such as old town Meridian, Crawford Grain and TXI Cement. I then realized that I'd be doing some messy scenery base work on the upper deck above. So, I figured I better stop on the lower deck and get to working on the messy part of the upper deck. One part I've really started working on is the Georgia Pacific Particle Board plant in Louisville. I started with a photo backdrop of the plant then added a 3D warehouse, some tank car loading platforms and some stand in tanks. So far, I like how the scene is coming together. However, it is hard to photograph because of the contrast in colors. I think once I get the white foam covered with dirt and ground cover then it'll be easier to shoot.

5 comments:

GRIFF said...

Both scenes look awesome!! So realistic!! Love it!!

PS> Congrats on the MR Article - at first glance I said to myself that that looks like something Dennis would do on his layout - at second glance I realized you were the author!! NICE!

CPRX - Frank Kenny said...

Beautiful work!

Paducahbuilt said...

Dennis,

This is some excellent modeling. The photo back drops really give the scenes great depth. Looking forward to seeing more.

Brian Strom
Illinois Central Fan Drinking Panama Limited Red Ale

JLandT Railroad said...

Those are some seriously nice backdrops Dennis, did you take them yourself?

Jas...

Dennis Daniels said...

I did take them. Stitched several photos together in PhotoShop then had them printed as a continuous photo at the local art store.

Been a slow layout week...

I've had a slow week working on the layout as I got involved in a few DCC installs on some locomotives. One thing I've learned is DC...