Monday, April 30, 2012

TXI photo backdrop

 I'm continuing work on the TXI cement plant. The scene with just a blue backdrop made the plant look small and shallow. I really wanted to give the impression of the massive plant that it is. So, I thought of adding a photo backdrop behind the plant to hopefully give the illusion of depth. The backdrop photo is a quick mural with no adjustments I made in Photoshop combining about a dozen photos of the conveyor system to the bulk Clinker storage area. I like the idea and look of photo backdrops but I think this one needs some work.

First off, I think I need to lighten the image as it appears too dark with the layout lighting. Plus, I'd like the blue sky to be a closer match to the painted blue backdrop I already have.

Also, you can see that I have a photo backdrop behind only half of the cement plant. I feel that I need to have a photo behind the whole plant but I'm not sure what would look good behind the kiln. I've got some more photos of the plant that I'm going to try to work into those area.


2 comments:

Ron McF said...

This is a great blog Dennis. You do beautiful work, and have shared some excellent ideas. I've been wondering how to tackle my oil refinery, and I'm tempted to try this photo-background approach.

I also enjoyed the WLBT newscast. You, and they, presented the hobby and your layout in a very positive manner.

Ron

Dennis Daniels said...

Thanks Ron! Sadly, I've not had much time to work on it recently. I need to change that and get back to work on it. Time and motivation seem to be hard to find. Hopefully, I'll have some updates soon.

Been a slow layout week...

I've had a slow week working on the layout as I got involved in a few DCC installs on some locomotives. One thing I've learned is DC...